Listed are some of the most common queries about AgorIP, what we do, and how we can help you. If you have any questions that aren’t listed below, please refer to our Support Enquiry Form and one of the team will get back to you with any information you require. Alternatively, enquiries can be emailed directly to our email address: [email protected].
1. What innovations does AgorIP support?
AgorIP supports new innovations from SMEs, local Health Boards and for HEIs based in Wales. Previous examples of projects assisted by our Technology Transfer team are as follows:
- Medical devices, digital solutions, pharmaceutical products, manufactured products, engineering technologies and sports therapy solutions
- IP Protection / patent filing
- Negotiating the licensing of your intellectual property
- Setting up a business mentor or commercial lead to prepare business strategies and/or plans to pitch to external investors
- Undertaking specialist market reports
- Setting up independent evaluations of your product or innovation
- Prototype development
- The Technology Readiness Level (TRL) of the innovation must be at level 3 to 4 or above (minimum) in order for us to assist you (see below for the TRL chart)
- If the innovation is still in the idea, research or proof of concept phase then it’s too early for AgorIP to support.
- We have 3rd party specialists who can help with upgrading prototypes or designs. However, once the completed version is ready for the market, we are not able to fund the manufacturing of the items.
2. How does the scheme work?
AgorIP can procure a range of services or support on your behalf to help take your innovation to the marketplace.
We can hire external companies or specialists to carry out product development work for you. For example, procuring a consultant to do market research, design or enhance a prototype, create a brand, file a trademark or patent, get product certification, find a licensor or distributor, and hire a commercial advisor
3. Can you provide monetary support?
AgorIP can’t provide direct awards of money to our applicants, but we can procure specialist services to help take your innovation forward.
Please note – we cannot pay for SMEs, HEIs or local Health Boards to provide staff time for developing your innovation. Our process of procuring third parties to undertake work packages ensures that AgorIP meets our funding regulations and audit criteria.
4. Should I be worried about disclosing my idea/ innovation without appropriate IP protection?
Don’t worry, AgorIP enter into non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) with inventors and companies in order to protect your innovation and intellectual property.
5. At what stage of the project can you help me to commercialise my research?
Typically we support projects at Technology Readiness Levels (TRLs) 3/4 and above. We pick up on projects once the proof-of-concept stage has been undertaken.
TRLs at a glance:
6. Am I eligible for support if I'm not based in Wales?
As the project is EU funded by the European Regional Development Fund, SMEs, HEIs and Health Boards are required to have a registered address in Wales to access our support.
7. Can you provide financial support for a patent that is already registered and pending?
For any projects we support regarding registering a patent, AgorIP can only support these from the start of filing through our approved suppliers (IP patent attorneys). We cannot pick up costs further down the line i.e once you have authorised a filing with a patent attorney of your own.
8. I am looking to patent an idea for a computer programme I have developed, would this be eligible for support via AgorIP?
Typically code falls under copyright which, under UK law, means we could not file a patent in this instance.
9. If I work with AgorIP, will I still own my IP or invention?
Yes. If we are able to support you this has no effect on your ownership of your intellectual property or invention. For example, if the support provided from AgorIP was filing a patent application through our patent attorney, it would be still in your name and ownership.